Thomas Kroes works as postdoctoral researcher at the Division of Image Processing at the Leiden University Medical Center. During his PhD, he worked in the field of computer graphics and visualization with a focus on medical visualization. He developed photo-realistic rendering methods to help doctors and patients understand complex, volumetric CT and MRI data.
Prior to this, he obtained a bachelor degree in mechanical engineering and a master in industrial design engineering.
Area(s) of expertise
- Computer graphics and visualization
- Tool development for large-scale image processing infrastructures
- Efficient Stochastic Rendering of Static and Animated Volumes using Visibility Sweeps, Philipp von Radziewsky, Thomas Kroes, Martin Eisemann, Elmar Eisemann Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, Volume xxx, Number xxx, page xx – xx – 201
- A smooth probability-based ambient occlusion approximation for volume rendering, Thomas Kroes, Dirk Schut, Elmar Eisemann GPU Pro, page tba – 201
- Numerical optimization of alignment reproducibility for customizable surgical guides, Thomas Kroes, Edward R. Valstar, Elmar Eisemann International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, page 1–12 – 201
- Visibility sweeps for joint-hierarchical importance sampling of direct lighting for stochastic volume rendering, Thomas Kroes, Martin Eisemann, Elmar Eisemann Proc. of Graphics Interface (GI) – 201
- Exposure render: an interactive photo-realistic volume rendering framework, Thomas Kroes, Frits H. Post, Charl P. Botha PLoS ONE, Volume 7, Number 7 – 07 201
- Towards Declarative Medical Visualization, Noeska Natasja Smit, Thomas Kroes, Anne C. Kraima, Daniel Jansma, Marco C. Deruiter, Edward R. Valstar, Charl P. Botha Eurographics Workshop on Visual Computing for Biology and Medicine Poster – 201
- Interactive direct volume rendering with physically-based lighting, Thomas Kroes, Frits H. Post, Charl P. Botha Technical Report 2011-11, Delft University of Technology, Number 2011-11 – 2011
Exposure Render: An interactive photo-realistic volume rendering framework
Leids Universitair Medisch Centrum
2333 ZA Leiden
2300 RC Leiden